Monday 25 August 2014

Ice Bucket Challenge

I must admit that I've been a bit cynical about the Ice Bucket Challenge so far. The concept of charity via social pressure rather than charity via social conscious doesn't sit well with me.

But there's no doubt that Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or Motor Neurone Disease is a more than worthy cause that fully deserves the awareness and funds that have been created.

And eventually the challenge has caught up with me, thanks to my friend Josh, and my cynicism has been beaten down with a block of ice. But with the above in mind, rather than challenge others to dump a bucket of water on themselves, I'll just request that people take a few minutes to find out more about MND.

Despite me being a grumpy party-pooper, you can't deny the huge groundswell of support the campaign as created and it's a great example of social good. Where Governments and large corporations dither over their responsibility, too caught up with power and money, the people just get on with it. Just imagine what could be done to raise awareness of the biggest killer on the planet, malaria, or the illegal wildlife trade which is close to wiping out some of the most important species on earth for no reason other than greed.

If we're willing to ask our friends to bow to social pressure and act, surely we should be willing to hold the people we elect to govern to an even larger standard?

Anyway, enough of my tedious babble. I accept your challenge, Josh, Cheers Buddy.



No comments:

Post a Comment